Chief Technology Officer
The Mizen Group
Areas of Expertise
- Technology strategy
- Data Governance
- Program Management
- Data Analytics
- Data Quality/Data Hygiene and Audits
- Business intelligence
- Technology Reviews & Assessments
- Model Validation
- Compliance Technology
Paul McCarthy is a founder and partner of The Mizen Group and has almost 18 years’ experience in
delivering large complex and diverse technology, analytical and governance driven by the singular
purpose of using data to effectively manage risk and improve decision making.
Mr. McCarthy is a senior technologist and strategist with experience that has been formed from the
vast array of the roles he has held in both in a fulltime and in an advisory capacity with major
corporations to technology startups. Mr. McCarthy’s curiosity of data and strong understanding of
business and technology facilitate his ability to communicate with all levels of an organization to
influence change. Since the formation of the Mizen Group in 2014, notable engagements since that
time to date include:
- Leading teams to implement programs for the DFSNY 504 certification
- Working with a team to define the business requirements for a Financial Crimes suite for a major Global Insurance provider.
- Leading an integrity validation assessment for all payments, initiated or received in the US, for an international bank, to validate the data integrity as they flowed through the AML and sanctions detection systems.
- Working with a team of investors through the process of purchasing a regional Bank operating under a consent order.
- Leading a team to perform independent oversight, validation and implementation oversight of an Anti-Money Laundering (AML) system for the DFS appointed Monitor for a Global Banking Group. Using proprietary tools and algorithms we identified suspect transactions to support a review of the International network of the Bank. Our work informed the basis for the 504 regulations.
- Contributed and sponsored to academic and industry innovative research in the areas of Big Data, Governance and compliance in the Regtech space.
From 2005 to 2013, Mr. McCarthy has served as the Principal of BI Solutions Inc., a value-oriented Data, Analytics and technology consulting firm, which focuses on providing consulting services to clients in the areas of Enterprise Architecture, Business Intelligence, Data Governance, Data Hygiene, Integration, CRM and Data Analytics. notable engagements during that time include:
- Defining and executing technology, data governance and process road map to support the growth strategy for a global company in the hospitality business, including acquisition and consolidation.
- Developing and deploying a customer and product data warehouse consolidating multiple source systems into one common business model for a leading provider of healthcare to support their regulatory and compliance requirements.
- Led several technology assessments of acquisitions targets for a Boston based VC investment fund including the subsequent growth and sale of some household brands.
- Established data governance program within the healthcare regulatory space to comply with HIPAA requirements.
- Worked with a leading fitness brand to develop their CRM and technology capabilities to revolutionize the customer experience within the industry.
From 1999 to 2005, Mr. McCarthy, worked for EMC Corporation, where he held several senior technology roles within the internal IT group driving BI & analytic strategies and project delivery across the enterprise.