Recent Sanctions Against the Taliban and Update on Nordstream 2 Sanctions
Date: Friday, October 29, 2021
Time: 11:30 AM – 12:00 PM EST
Duration: 30 minutes
Speakers: Todd Madisson, Sanctions Manager, Vice President CAMS, CSS Rabo Diversified Services
Moderator: Saskia Rietbroek, CSS, Executive Director ACSS
We will cover two topics in this month’s SanctionsConnect:
US Sanctions Against Afghanistan:
- Individuals or entities that are located within Afghanistan but do NOT involve the (i) gov’t of Afghanistan or (ii) Afghanistan state-owned banks or entities, aren’t sanctioned at this time.
- At present, OFAC is informally indicating it will take a non-enforcement posture regarding activities and transactions that support
o Evacuation efforts
o Humanitarian activities
o Critical infrastructure
o Personal remittances
Sanctions Related to Nordstream 2:
- In late August 2021, the Biden administration implemented new sanctions on a Russian ship and two companies involved in the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline.
- The US has opposed the pipeline, including under the previous two presidents, because it passes Ukraine, putting at risk lucrative gas transit fees and potentially undermining Ukraine’s struggle against Russian aggression.
- The pipeline is being built to bring Arctic Russian gas under the Baltic Sea to Germany, Europe’s largest and richest economy.
Join the discussion on how these recent developments mean for your compliance efforts?
Members of the Association
This SanctionsConnect Call is included in your membership, but space is limited! If you would like to register, click below on “Register Me”
Sign up today!
Tell your friends, clients, customers and colleagues about it.
ACSS Sanctions Connect Calls are the perfect opportunity for you to obtain the answers to your burning sanctions queries as well as connect with your sanctions community
If you have any queries about our SanctionsConnect Calls, please feel free to get in touch!
Todd Madisson, CSS
Sanctions Manager, Rabobank
Todd Maddison has been at Rabobank since 2018 and is the New York City-based Sanctions Manager for a St. Louis based team of analysts that conduct the sanctions and PEP screening for Rabobank’s wholesale and agrifinance businesses. Todd and his team also provide sanctions advice and guidance for all of Rabobank’s US businesses. Todd has worked in banking and brokerage for 26 years. Before Rabobank, Todd held AML roles at HSBC, UBS and front office and compliance roles at Dreyfus mutual funds and JP Morgan Chase. Todd has a BA in History from the State University of NY at Oneonta, FINRA Series 6,7,24,63 and 79 licenses, and holds the CAMS, CFCS and CSS certifications. Todd lives in Long Island with his wife and teenage son.
Saskia Rietbroek, CSS
Executive Director, ACSS
She is a frequent speaker in English, Spanish and Dutch on a variety of ﬁnancial crime topics.
She earned law degrees from Leiden University (Netherlands) and Universidad La Católica (Lima, Peru), and was admitted to the Lima Bar Association. She also holds an international MBA from Florida International University. She speaks ﬂuent Dutch, English and Spanish, as well as basic German.